Consumers, especially millennials, crave meaning and they’re eager to search it out in their lives. People need to feel like they’re part of something. One way they express this need is by the brands they choose.
The search for meaning among consumers has accelerated the rise and success of “purpose-driven” companies. But I think differently about the term “purpose-driven.” I don’t mean charitable giving or corporate social responsibility initiatives. Those are tactics.
I help define meaning so organizations can be WHY-DRIVEN. Why does your company exist? What meaning can consumers share with it? Understanding and powerfully expressing a true WHY that comes from the core of your brand will allow you to connect deeply with the new consumer. As Daniel Pink says, “Meaning is the new money.”
I created the Brand Gravity℠ process to help brands express their best selves. The results of this methodology will deliver long-term focus for your company, spark motivation for your employees, and engage consumers with meaning.
While consumers are looking for meaning, they’re also experts at sniffing-out marketing BS. My Brand Gravity process will help you develop a distinctive voice and graphic language that communicates with authentic clarity rather than bland BS. As a WHY-driven company, you’ll be a brand that consumers want to talk to, and one that will be differentiated in a crowded marketplace.
The "Brand Gravity" Methodology
WHAT'S BRAND GRAVITY℠?
Brand Gravity℠ is both a process and a finished document that defines your brand. It’s an opportunity to think deeply about your brand, then use that thinking to build a tool that sets a focused direction. The brand definition that comes from the Brand Gravity process will help you communicate to the world beautifully and consistently over time.
WHY THE BRAND GRAVITY PROCESS?
- You want consumers to gravitate toward your brand. You want to draw them in, wow them, and convince them to talk about you.
- It helps make sure everyone internally understands the brand and how to talk about it.
- This process is a way to make sure all your essential brand elements are located in one place.
- A Brand Gravity document can mediate internal and external conversations—you don’t want your brand to be what the loudest voice in the room says it is on a particular day. And you don’t want partners to roll in and change who you are. This process ensures consistency.
- The Brand Gravity guide can be used as a tool to objectively evaluate marketing communications, new product ideas, sales efforts, internal initiatives and more.
- This process will focus your efforts. Everyone works hard, but you want to make sure you’re all pulling in the same direction, with the same message, tone and attitude.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
You’re the ones with knowledge of the brand. I'm not here to make something up—your brand definition needs to be true and authentic. I'm here to facilitate, take notes, push thinking, make suggestions, and polish words and images in a document. Together, we’ll define your extraordinary brand in a way that helps drive your business into the future.